Smart TVs are great because they give you access to a range of apps such as Netflix, Amazon Prime and more and all for a relatively low price. However, a chromecast can also be installed with Kodi, one of the best bits of the streaming software you can get.
What is Kodi?
Kodi is an open source software designed specifically with home entertainment in mind. This is totally free. Originally it was created for Microsoft Xbox and called Xbox Media center. The software has continued to evolve spawning a community of its own. Kodi Is managed by non-profit XMBC foundation. But it is constantly upgraded and modified by hundreds of coders around the world. Since the time of its creation in 2003, Kodi ha been shaped by almost 500 software developers and more than 200 translators.
Installing Kodi on Chromecast using an Android device
You can stream the content of Kodi to Chromecast from an iOS device, so well only be talking about Android devices for this method. There are two ways by which you can stream content to Chromecast from your Kodi connected Android device the long yet power friendly way or the quick but battery intensive route. In case of any difficulty Chromecast Help can be taken.
The long way
- Download the ES File Explorer Kodi Local Cast and XML file Player Factory Core.
- Open ES file explorer, open Settings > display Settings and make sure that the option of show hidden files is ticked.
- Next make sure your XBMC or Kodi media center is connected to the Kodi app.
- Once it is done, then go into ES File Explorer again and open the downloads folder.
- Here you should find the Player Factory Core.xml file you downloaded earlier. If not navigate to where your downloaded files are saved.
- Copy the Player Factory Core.xml file and navigate to Android > data and look for the either org.xbmc.kodi or org.xbmc.xbmc, depending on which streamer you use. Kodi will be org.xbmc.kodi.
- Once open now click through files >.kodi or xbmc which one you have saved > user data and then paste the Player Factory Core.xml file into this folder.
- Open Kodi and navigate to the video file that you want to watch.
- Kodi will then automatically launch Local Cast, although Android will ask you which casting app you would like to use.
- Once loaded you will be prompted to press the option of Play and asked which device you would like to stream to.
- The you will need to click Play one more time and it should finally play on your Chromecast connected TV.
The Short way
- Firstly, open the Chromecast App on your Android device.
- Open the menu and select the cast screen/ audio option and follow the instructions to connect to your Google Chromecast Setup.
- Open Kodi.
- Find the video you want to watch and press play.
- It will now play out across both devices, but you can’t turn your screen off or take the calls.
Installing Kodi on a Chromecast using a computer
Streaming Kodi or XMBC content to a chromecast setup from a PC is not as difficult as you may think but like streaming Android content, then it is far from elegant solution to your problem.
- Download Chrome and the chromecast app as well as ensuring you have a Kodi or XBMC client installed on your computer.
- Install Chrome and its Chromecast casting extension. You can Www Chromecast Setup in case of any difficulty.
- Open chrome and select the Cast option from your Chromecast extensions.
- Where you see Cast this tab to on the right will be a small down arrow, click it, and select Cast entire screen.
- Once done your entire computer desktop should be streaming to your TV.
- Open Kodi or XBMC and fire up a video for watching.